Last fall when I was pregnant, I had gestational diabetes and
was not supposed to could not eat sugar. Since desserts are kinda my thing, I tortured myself daily reading my favorite food blogs. I decided to make a "Top 10" list of all the foods I wanted to try but couldn't until the Lil' Munchkin arrived. One of those oh-so-luscious desserts I was dying for was Nanaimo Bars. I had never heard of them before Sinful Southern Sweets posted the recipe, but these are to die for y'all! Plus, there's no baking involved which makes them a great summer treat!
Did I mention, ALL desserts consumed during summer months have NO calories and NO fat! You heard it here first. (P.S. I am not a doctor, a nutritionist, a dietitian, or anyone with authority, so you may want to check into that statement before you like go into a diabetic coma or have a heart attack or something that I would NOT be responsible for. )
If you are reading the email version of this recipe, there is a print button embedded, please visit CajunSugarPie.com to print the recipe.
Recipe: Nanaimo Bars
Adapted from Nanaimo Bars
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups crumbs from Annie's Bunny Grahams (or graham cracker crumbs)
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Grease 9-inch square pan.
- Bottom Layer: Combine 1/2 cup butter, sugar, cocoa, beaten egg, and vanilla in medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add cracker crumbs and coconut.
- Press evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Middle Layer: In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1/4 cup butter, powdered sugar, and pudding mix.
- Add milk slowly while stirring. Mix until smooth.
- Spread evenly over bottom layer. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Top Layer: Melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon butter until smooth. Spread over middle layer.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until hardened.
- Slice into bars and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Amazon Affiliate link inserted in this post. Please read my Disclosure Policy for more information.
© 2011, www.cajunsugarpie.com. All rights reserved.